Health News

Woman’s makes urgent plea to nail biters after friend contracts deadly infection

Listen up, nail biters.

Chewing on your cuticles isn’t just a bad habit, it could also lead to you contracting an infection.

Karen Peat, from Scotland, spoke about this recently.

After her friend was rushed to hospital after biting their nails, she issued a warning on Facebook.

In a post that’s been shared 11,000 times, she wrote: “A message to nail biters out there STOP!!!

“Someone I know, who prefers to remain nameless, who bites their nails ended up having to get rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary today for emergency surgery because they had bitten their nails down too far and had got an infection in the finger.”

  • Mum begs doctors for help after pubic hair starts growing on her face

  • Doctors lift lid on odd objects surgically removed from patient's bums in 2019

Karen added: “This person had been to two chemists and spoken to two separate pharmacists over the past few days who had advised to use magnesium sulphate and keep it covered.

“It still got worse and when finally went to the A&E this morning was told if left much longer it could have been fatal as the infection was travelling up the arm hence the emergency surgery!

“So please please stop biting your nails!!”

As Karen says, you should avoid chewing on your fingers to prevent them from getting infected.

  • Simple hand grip test could show whether you’re at risk of dementia

If you do notice signs of infection, you should consult a doctor.

The NHS advises Brits to see their GP if:

– You don't know why a nail has changed shape, changed colour or fallen off

– The skin around your nails has become sore, red, swollen and warm (paronychia) – this can be a sign of an infection or ingrown toenail

Source: Read Full Article