A 41-year-old British woman would not have almost lost her vision on left eye, because you took out when bathing or showering your contact lenses and as a result, a parasite infected, report to the attending Physicians in the medical journal “The England Journal of Medicine”.
The woman was in pain for over two months in the left eye, saw only a blur, and was sensitive to light. An eye test revealed that you could see on the left eye hardly. In addition, the Doctors discovered a scratch on the cornea, which was significantly tarnished. Samples from the eye showed that the woman had been infected with Akanthamöben – probably via contaminated bath and shower water. The right eye was not affected.
Akanthamöben are often detected too late
The microscopic parasites are in the soil, in water and in air-conditioning systems. The pathogens penetrate into the cornea, shows at first a turbidity. In the further course of the parasites can eat a hole in the cornea. After the first two to three weeks, the Affected losing some of the eyesight, in the further course, it can lead to blindness. Therefore, the infection must be diagnosed as quickly as possible and handled correctly.
According to the German society for hospital hygiene, the risk of being infected with the amoeba from contaminated water sources, in the case of contact lens up to 400 Times higher, because the parasites can accumulate behind the lens.
The woman from the UK was given drugs against the inflammation, the ausheilte complete. Their full vision back however got. By a corneal transplant, you can see the eye a little better and the pain disappeared, but is still visually impaired.
In Germany, about 200 people with Akanthamöben, are infected per year, the German ophthalmological society (DOG) estimates. Sounds like little, but as is the case from the UK shows, can have the infection have serious consequences, particularly if it is recognized too late and treated. Eye doctors recommend contact lenses for showering and bathing take out. In addition, contact lenses should be cleaned regularly and only with clean hands be used.
Particularly wearers of soft contact lenses are at risk. The soft lenses are often more comfortable than hard, but are prone to bacteria and germs.